Sider

søndag 19. oktober 2008

For the immortal spirit of Marija Gimbutas - "Old Europe" by Cyndi Dawson

Old Europe by Cyndi Dawson

I dreamed of an earth quake
That opened the ground
Unearthed a civilization
Laid bare before our eyes
Illustrious statues of fertile
Untouched
Completely preserved
Soft rains rinsing ash
Revealed
From the closing
Of the last eyes
To mine opening…
I dreamed
The pregnant spring
Sustaining a life of
Peace & prosperity
I dreamed the altar
A – flame
I saw their faces
A – glow
I felt their art
I felt their heart
What drove us to abandon our Selves?
To the call of unequal Gods and war?
Surrendering the rich soil
To the burial of bones & artefacts
To springs of dying crops
To fields of crosses scattered
Like black crows pecking at rotted flesh?
What drove us to abandon our potential?
For this turning history of man?
There was a fertile spring once
I dreamed mounds of clay that drenched primitive hands
Rose up from the crevice formed
Revealed itself in iconic pottery & relics
Revealed itself symbolically
Read openly to those who would care to listen closely
Who understood the handing down
There was a Civilization etched upon mind’s eye
We lived in peace
We lived in peace



An animation of the words of "Old Europe" - an epic poem by Cyndi Dawson. Her poem was in turn inspired by the documentary "Signs Out of Time" which was based on the life and work of Marija Gimbutas.



Music by Jair-Rohm Parker Wells and Tommy Aboussleman
Guitar: Tommy Aboussleman
Words/Vocals: Cyndi Dawson - "Nor' Easter"

Motherless City (By Cyndi Dawson)

Whip smart aren't we all at eighteen
Right out of school the only rule is free to be
No house to sneak back to no mother to fight with
Bodies to dance with friends to get high with
Turn the corner, here we are
Rent split four ways and four bodies in
Three beds who ate my friggin rice cakes,
Borrowed my leg warmers without asking...
I'm an angry girl, angry angry angry
Watch me peel my way past the big muscled
Bouncers watch me lead the way to the stage
Watch my body undulate it is the biggest weapon
I have watch me drink for free boys are so stupid
Boys are so beautiful watch me watch the boys
Whip smart aren't we all clutching our pillows,
Drowning out noise of a cavernous loft where a
Guitar sits against the wall, tired after seduction.
If I rise out of this self claimed spot in this
Lumpy bed I will have to walk past the spot where
You are holding a strange girl in your arms.
I miss my mothers house. One I left at fifteen.
I knew it all, then, as well. I knew it all. I needed no one.
I needed nothing. The umbilical cord officially severed.
Angry girl packs her bag and off she goes seeks fame and
Fortune, maybe cappuchinos. cappuchinos are cool, cool
Is essential in this city with no mother.
This is a motherless frenetic machine that spits the weak
Onto streets and I'm too angry for streets. Don't even try.
Watch me double dutch my strut watch me, watch me
There is nothing I need there is nothing I want that I cannot
Get for myself. I need no one. Watch me press the boy
Against the wall, slam shazaam watch me flip his
Switch look whose got the moves whip smart stupid girl
Girls are so stupid. Girls are so beautiful. I don't
Need no one or nothing. I just want to be eighteen and left the
Hell alone.
This is a motherless city.

Ingen kommentarer: